The Hunter JetSlingerTM device --- an air amplification apparatus based on the Venturi principle --- accelerates sand into the cope-and-drag flasks on the Hunter's HLM Series of matchplate molding machines. Continuing the company’s tradition of innovation, the JetSlinger was invented by company President and CEO, Bill Hunter, and U.S. Patent Number US7819168B2 has been issued.
This device creates a powerful vacuum and jet exhaust, which draws the sand mixture through an array of nozzle assemblies into a manifold mounted directly below the Fillaerator blades, then slings the sand into the flasks.
In contrast to conventional blow fill machines no shroud, seals or vented flask assemblies, nor the usual attendant maintenance are required.
Furthermore, the JetSlinger allows far greater flexibility and access needed to produce various castings with the use of chaplets, ram-up cores and exothermic risers.
Basic operation of the JetSlinger is as follows:
• Sand mixture loaded into hopper
• Hopper gates open
• Rotating Fillaerator blades aerate the mixture
• Mixture is delivered into the Venturi action air acceleration manifold
• Mixture under pressure is dispersed through 20 nozzles into the flask
• Flask fills with pre-compaction around pattern plate
With a perpendicular fill, this impact-assisted device produces molds more quickly and with substantially improved surface quality, owing to the powered pre-compaction of the sand. This action results in greater uniformity of mold density and wall hardness, without sacrificing the accessibility and flexibility of a gravity fill machine.
JetSlinger features include…
• Impact-assisted flask filling, adjustable for cope and drag
• Venturi action air amplification for sand mixture dispersion
• Perpendicular flask filling, superior to side blow fill, no shadow effect
• Improves mold production up to 300% on selected jobs
• Better pattern definition, uniformity of mold hardness and surface finish